Node and IP problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem using a node avago 1.0.4.
I just configure and install a new node. Node run, health and bootstrap true, got my node id, stack enough avax, register as a validator but on avascan my node looks not connected. Performance is at 0%…

In local all look good.

Someone told me that I need to apply to my ISP for a fixed public IP.

In my case it seems that the ISP give me a subnet IP. The IP in my router is not the same as the IP avascan sees or what is my IP.
Look like I have 2 public IP and then other node can’t ping me.

Could it be the real problem ?

How to deal with this ?

I staked for 2 weeks so I will stop it but I really would like to make it work on the long term.

If anybody has an idea to solve it pps help. Thanks

Yes, your node needs to be accessible (connectable) from the outside on the staking port (9651 by default) so other nodes can connect to you. If you’re behind two networks, then either you need to have your ISP forward the connections, or assign a fixed IP to be used by your connection. If your ISP is uncooperative, you might look into setting up a VPN service, but that won’t be straightforward either, as you will need to accept incoming connections on it.

Alternatively, you might look into renting a cloud server and set up there.

Ok thanks very much.

I contacted my isp and asked for a direct Public IP. Got one now and my node is connected to the network. Problem solved thanks again :wink:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I just used https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-my-public-ip-address/ to find my public IP, and run the node with --public-ip=whatever it is.

My internet provider won’t assign fixed IPs, but they say it shouldn’t change much if at all, so if my node goes down some day I’ll check that first.

If your ISP changes your public IP (they often do that once a day for residential customers), you can start your node with --dynamic-public-ip=opendns parameter instead, then the node itself will take care to update the public IP reported to other peers. You just need to make sure that you forward port 9651 from your router to the computer running the node (and open the port on the machine firewall if you have it).

Make sure you’re running at least v1.0.4. of the client.

You can check out all the command line arguments here.

3 Likes