How do we prevent criminal use of the Avalanche platform?

One side worry I have about implementing NFTs is the possible creation/distribution/immutable of illegal, offensive or harmful content - possibly a “Dark Web” equivalent of sidechains.

My worry with AVAX actually being a legitimate decentralized blockchain - we will eventually see a wider user base and ultimately some bad actors leveraging the use of this platform. I wanted to ask what are your thoughts ethically on this potential use of this platform for illegal use?

1 Like

Who cares? You can’t stop stuff like this on a decentralized, uncensorable, platform. Eth and other blockchains have the same ‘problem’ if you call it that, it’s more like a feature though.

2 Likes

A friend of mine passed the opportunity of investing in AVAX because he was categorically associating blockchain technology with enabling funds for illegal activities. Like many technologies, internet as a whole being one of them, blockchain technologies could be used by bad actors. However, in his mind the benefits far outweigh the harms for internet but blockchain technologies have not reached that level, yet. I believe educating public about the potential good they can bring would help it go mainstream easier. The more it becomes mainstream the easier it will probably be to choke nefarious usage. To disable criminal use at the platform/technology level is probably not easy (if even possible) as it is by design decentralized and can be anonymous. So, in short, my simplistic answer is education…

1 Like

Tools are things that can be used by everyone. Guns help good people but they help murderers too. You just gotta take things case by case, we cant just neglect technology.

2 Likes

We cant. What we can do though is design the platform and protocols in such a way where the only guilty party in illegal use cases are the ones directly involved, and not the ones supporting the network at large. So far from what I have seen the team has done a pretty good job at this.

2 Likes

Feels Its like saying “how we prevent those who buy our kitchen knives dont use them to harm someone else”

Probably you can’t, so its what it is,

3 Likes

How stupid lol. Missed out on nice gains. Maybe he has learned his lesson. He should really research crypto more.

I agree - @DarkGhosty good points on the pointing out this is something not unique to AVAX but other open decentralized platforms as well. It’s just that with AVAX you’re able to do your deeds with immediate finality haha. @Jstodd @Tixy your points on knives/guns are right too.

1 Like

Alot of chains have finality maybe not in 5 seconds but pretty close. But yah the question is not unique to avalanche at all.

1 Like

I’d also share your medium post, I am sure people under this topic will find useful too.

Avalanche As A More Legitimate Darknet Currency Than Monero

1 Like

Actually the benefit of Avalanche is that it’s the only public chain that will allow the creation of safe spaces. The other way around (censorship) is impossible when building a new internet.

However, when Avalanche goes mainstream, governments will be able to propose laws aiming at preventing these behaviors. Which is exactly like the internet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

^100% agree with this.

Avalanche is unique in that it allows for the creation of both public and private blockchains, and different subnetworks can enforce their own rules to their liking. If a government wanted to create an asset on Avalanche that could only be moved to addresses that have an NFT badge that they issued (like a citizenship badge), they could do so.

I’m not saying that’s how it should work necessarily, but it certainly is a pattern that the Avalanche platform allows for, unlike most other blockchain network.

1 Like

Most drugs, and things illegal are purchased using cash.

Nothing in this world can be hidden as much as cash. Blockchain shows everything. Dark web wasn’t because of crypto. Cryptocurrency allowed them to find those who created Silk Road.

If they used cash in their payments they would have never been caught.