Avalanche and avoiding frontrunning

A lot of statements from Avalanche team touts that unlike Ethereum, the chain is immune against frontrunning. Miner Extractable Value is becoming larger and larger issue for DeFi ecosystem?

How does “not frontrunning” actually works? Is it something based on the consensus algorithm choice? Is it also true for Athereum or just for native Avalanche?

I’m not a team member and haven’t read the source code. But my understanding is that the protocol doesn’t ever have a situation where a single “miner” is dictating the next block. All validators are simultaneously verifying the transaction. So there isn’t a situation where a selfish miner holds onto the block while they front run it.

I guess one of the verification nodes could see a transaction happening and try to execute a trade immediately using that information, but I don’t think they’d have the ability to slow down / reorder the transaction in the meantime or anything like that.

2 Likes

I guess one of the verification nodes could see a transaction happening and try to execute a trade immediately using that information, but I don’t think they’d have the ability to slow down / reorder the transaction in the meantime or anything like that.

Thank you. Do you know any diagram that explains a transaction life cycle on Avalanche, similar to this one - how it travels through API nodes, mempool(?), validators and then block propagation: